Accountant, City of Wyoming
Department Head: Jodi Yenchar, Finance Director
Date Posted: 03/20/2023
Date Closing: 04/16/2023
Wage: $32.77-$41.49 per hour
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Wyoming is seeking innovative, critical thinkers for an accountant position. The Finance Department seeks candidates who know and understand generally accepted accounting principles and can apply reasoned judgment in a variety of situations. A fun, hard-working department with a service-oriented commitment to the residents of Wyoming and to City employees, the Finance Department provides a fast-paced work environment. The candidate selected will have the opportunity to build relationships with staff throughout the city and an understanding of city operations by providing general and specific accounting support to city departments and staff through collaborative projects and processes.
The accountant is responsible for:
- Being a subject matter expert on accounting requirements including implementation of GASB standards.
- Accurate and timely completion of general ledger reconciliations, journal entries, work papers, and schedules related to the annual accounting cycle (including the budget and audit) as well as financial and compliance reports related to grants and various federal, state, and local legislation and regulations.
- Supporting accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, grants administration, financial reporting, bonding, and debt management.
- Acting as a mentor, role model, and trainer for accounting staff.
- Functioning as a liaison to various boards and commissions as needed.
- Creating and updating process documentation.
Candidates who are passionate about public service and accounting, have an eye for detail, and like to take initiative to complete special projects are strongly encouraged to apply! Applicants should have a degree in accounting or related coursework in the accounting field; governmental accounting experience is preferred. Knowledge of and experience in a professional office setting is required. Candidates must have strong interpersonal communication, writing, and listening skills.
With a typical four-day work week, this position includes a generous benefits package including an employer-paid defined contribution plan (8%) and post-employment health plan (4%), a comprehensive health insurance plan, dental and vision insurance plans, life insurance, paid vacation and sick time and paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, longevity pay, and free access to an employee assistance program.
Wyoming is a vibrant, diverse community covering 25 square miles on the southwest side of Grand Rapids. The region boasts award-winning cultural and family activities such as a presidential museum, art and children's museums, symphony, ballet, and theater, the John Ball Zoo, an AHL hockey team and High-A baseball team, farmers markets, breweries, restaurants, shopping, parks, hiking and biking trails, beaches, and camping. Only a short drive to the shores of Lake Michigan, outdoor recreational opportunities abound.
Consider joining the hard-working, fun, and supportive environment at the City of Wyoming! We're looking for you!
Should an applicant need any disability-related accommodations or other considerations in the application process, please notify our human resources department upon submitting the application by email at email@example.com.
This job posting will remain open until filled.
Click here to view the full Accountant job description, or to apply.