Accountant, West Bloomfield Twp
West Bloomfield Township is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Pay Level: 6.5
Salary: $54,054.00 to $74,314.50
Works under the supervision of the Finance Director subject to the Township Clerk’s custody of, responsibility for, and authority over the Township’s accounting records as provided by law. May prepare Township audit schedules, maintains accounts, journals, ledgers, financial records, prepares reports, and performs related accounting activities.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities which may be considered Essential Function(s):
- Balances:general ledgers, accounts, transactions, and control to detail accounts.
- Compiles:miscellaneous financial transactions, journals, data for financial reports, cash balances, inventories, and escrow accounts.
- Maintains:ledgers (general and job); financial and statistical data for management purposes and statutory requirements, journal entry detail, accounts receivable, escrow and inventories, fixed assets, and accounts.
- Posts: journal entries and budget amendments as necessary.
- Prepares: journal entries, schedules, reconciliations, and documents for year-end audit.
Technical / Control
- Analyzes:accounts to verify balances with detailed supporting accounts/ledgers, making and make appropriate corrections.
- Assists:Township departments by preparing financial information, answering their questions, providing BS&A guidance and explaining fiscal procedures.
- Compiles: reports for other governmental agencies.
- Prepares: financial statements, analytical spreadsheets, financial reports, journal entries, invoices, cash receipts and work papers.
- Researches: to provide information in support for administrative activities.
- May be assigned unique tasks to the department within the competency level of the other tasks described in this document.
- Answers questions and researches items in response to inquiries from auditors.
- Serves as the back-up person for accounts payable and payroll.
- The preceding statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by personnel assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor Business Administration Degree-BBA with concentration in accounting, finance or equivalent required.
- Master’s Degree – MBA with concentration in accounting, finance or equivalent preferred.
- C.P.A or equivalent municipal financial experience preferred.
- Familiarity in the use of computers required. (Must be proficient with use of Excel)
- Four or more years accounting experience. Preferred municipal finance experience in government accounting.
The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria. Additional experience or education may be substituted on a two for one basis to meet minimum requirements. See ADA requirements for additional guidelines.
Equipment and Tools Used:
Personal computers, copiers, PC software (Microsoft Office Suite), public records and laws.
- Math - An understanding of percentages, fractions, ratios, rates, algebra, and calculations is required.
- Reading - Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret complex manuals and instructions (including ordinances).
- Writing - Ability to write moderately complex instructions and communicate problems, procedures for supervision or for others. Ability to write correspondence to employees and customers.
- Speaking - Ability to clearly communicate information and questions related to all aspects of the job in person and over the phone using effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Considered Light Work.
- Lifting - up to 30 pounds on an occasional basis
- Pushing - ability to transfer/push materials up to 60 lbs by pushing or the use of lift trucks.
- Movement - Ability to maneuver as necessary to use cash register, copier, and personal computer equipment.
- Kneeling, stooping occasionally.
- Walking - occasionally; Standing - occasionally; Sitting – frequently
- Use of hands - constantly
- Reaching - frequently
- Vision - near vision required, color vision preferred.
- Hearing - must be able to hear and understand normal speech in same room and on phone.
Environment and Hazards:
- Noise - office environment.
- Electrical hazards - rarely.
- Biohazards – no.
- Caustic chemicals - no.
- Extreme outdoor temperatures - no.
- Dust – no.
- Moving equipment hazards - no.
- Dangerous persons – no.
- High pressure lines – no.
- Weapons - no.
- Atmosphere hazards - no.
- Slip Hazards – no.
The Charter Township of West Bloomfield values diversity in its workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, genetic information, veteran’s status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local laws.
Applications can be obtained from our web-site: www.wbtownship.org/jobs, at the Human Resources Department, 4550 Walnut Lake Road, West Bloomfield or by calling (248) 451-4795. Qualified applicants must complete and submit an employment application to be considered for this position.
Position open until February 11, 2020