Assistant Budget Officer, City of Battle Creek
Job Title: Assistant Budget Officer
Grade: Springsted - 21
Location: City Hall
Reports To: Finance Services Manager
FLSA Status: Salaried - Exempt
Performs intermediate skilled technical work coordinating the preparation of the City budget; manages funds and expenditures; conducts audits and prepares financial reports; related work as apparent or assigned. Work performed under the general direction of the Finance Services Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assists with scheduling and coordinating activities in the budget cycle, such as budget format and data
processing instructions necessary to meet timely completion. Assists with annual revenue/expenditure
projections. Liaison with city department personnel to develop and monitor .departmental budgets.
- Conducts internal reviews and analyses to prepare information for annual audit. Prepares, examines, and
verifies budget reports.
- Monitors grants to ensure consistency with budgeting policies and compliance with grant guidelines.
- Works closely with grant personnel in city departments to ensure appropriate use of funds and reporting.
- Prepares and submits reports required by grantors to receive cost reimbursements.
- Maintains fixed assets and disposal data, calculates depreciation, reconciles ledgers to detail records, and
prepares journal entries to adjust all ledgers or accounts.
- Prepares various journal entries and adjusts ledgers and accounts as necessary.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
This work is sedentary and requires little to no exertion of force; work regularly requires sitting, bending, reaching, hand dexterity (grasping, holding, keyboarding, repetitive movements), reading, writing, eye-hand coordination, seeing (near and/or far, color, depth, field of vision), hearing, using the telephone, contact with government officials and the general public, working overtime, and working inside and alone.
- Bachelor's degree preferred, or in place of a degree a combination of education, training, and 8+ years’
experience in a directly related field may be substituted and considered.
- 3 years experience in administrative accounting, budgeting, and municipal cost development.
- Valid driver's license in the State of Michigan.
- Intermediate skill level with Microsoft Excel.
Those interested in applying may do so online at https://www.battlecreekmi.gov/563/Employment-Opportunities