Asst. Director of Finance, City of Romulus
CITY OF ROMULUS
JOB TITLE: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
EXEMPT: Yes JOB CODE: B07D
SALARY LEVEL: $28.2239 – 30.7692 / hour DIVISION: NON-UNION
DEPARTMENT: Finance LOCATION: City Hall BENEFITS: Fully benefitted position
Under the supervision of the Director of Financial Services, assists that official with the management of the Finance Department by administering the departmental functions such as accounts payable, delinquent accounts collection, accounts receivable, payroll, and water service billing. Prepares supporting schedules and assists in the development of the annual budget. Assists in coordinating year-end audit activities and performs various personnel related functions. Assists in preparing data for use in long-range financial planning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs and maintains orderly methods for processing financial transactions for the Directs financial accounting for all programs including report preparation.
- Gathers data for use in development of the preliminary budget, assisting departmental heads in evaluating needs, explaining departmental services, making projections and serving as staff advisor in final budget
- Ability to prepare, utilize and recommend cost allocation processes for internal and external department
- Evaluates expenditures in relationship to fiscal year budget projections and prepares status reports, identifying critical areas, changes necessary due to projection changes and changes in City posture which may have financial implication. Maintains current budget amendment file.
- Reviews and verifies various financial reports and other documents relating to financial matters for use by the Director of Financials Services, Mayor, City Council, other government agencies, and any other interested and authorized
- Prepares a variety of reports and Prepares federal, state and local reports.
- Maintains and organizes budgetary and fiscal records in compliance with federal, state and local laws, generally accepted accounting practices, GASB regulations and
- Reconciles to bank balance, resolves discrepancies and figures projected interest at the established
- Supervises the daily activities of the Finance Department staff, distributing workloads, conducting staff meetings, training employees and handling all personnel related
- Reviews employee time cards, scheduling vacations, overtime and/or personal business
- Serves in the absence of the Director of Financial Services following well defined policies and
- Coordinates activities with other City department heads to resolve problems, maintain workflow and eliminate duplication of
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of special financial analyses and special projects as
- Performs the duties of other departmental personnel as workload, temporary absences or emergencies
- Attend City Council and other meetings, as requested or required for reporting and presentation purposes.
- Performs other related duties as
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
Provides supervision to employees within the Finance department under the direction of the Director of Financial Services.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business administration or a related field or the equivalent.
- Experience: Requires a strong background in governmental fund accounting. A minimum of three years of progressively more responsible finance and accounting experience. Requires knowledge of computer business applications. Twelve month break-in period.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Strong computer skills a requisite, must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of educations and experience which could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job should be considered.