Budget Director, Wayne County
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
DESCRIPTION OF MAJOR JOB DUTIES
The Budget Director provides technical expertise and assistance to the Chief Financial Officer and Deputy Chief Financial Officer in the allocation of resources to best accomplish the goals and objectives of county government. As a primary responsibility, the Budget Director will make recommendations for, implement and maintain the county budget. Responsibilities include: coordination of budgetary processes and procedures, development and day to day oversight, monitoring of expenditures and revenues, vendor payments, personnel requisitions and expense reimbursements, revenue certification and commodity and service procurement processes to ensure compliance with the County Charter (Section 5.127), various County ordinances and the State of Michigan Uniform Budgeting and Accounting Act. Additionally, the Budget Director is responsible for ensuring that the enacted appropriations ordinance is implemented and complies with the schedule of periodic allotments. The Budget Director is responsible for coordinating the preparation of quarterly projections of revenues and expenditures for the current and ensuing fiscal years to determine compliance with adopted appropriation levels. The Budget Director works closely with county departments and elected officials in preparing their annual budgets reviews and evaluates and makes recommendations regarding the fiscal impact of County programs of various budgetary actions.
The Budget Director is also responsible for preparation of the County Chief Executive Officer proposed budget and the final adopted budget documents as required by the County Charter. The Budget Director is responsible for day to day monitoring of departmental spending throughout the year and is also responsible for review and processing all amendments to the budget impacting the Enrolled Budget Ordinance. The Budget Director has direct oversight over the Budget and Planning division staff that performs daily budgetary and account reviews related to the processing of various types of expenditure requests and recommends approval based on the availability of funds and the appropriateness of the expenditure.
The Budget Director is also responsible for all special projects assigned to the Budget and Planning Division by the CFO or DCFO in support of other divisions such as the Office of the CEO, Corporation Counsel or Personnel. Projects include labor contract and arbitration cost analysis, the creation and generation of special financial reports and project analysis, coordination of the performance measurement project, Budget and Planning Division systems development and implementation as well as related application systems training of Budget and Planning staff.
Tasks and Knowledge
- Play lead role in development of the County annual Budget, including (but not limited to) coordination with departments and elected officials to recommend appropriations, forecasting revenues, determining mandatory spend levels and provision of funding for County Executive policy initiatives.
- Assist the CFO in long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the County’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers shared services and collaborations with external organizations.
- Maintain the County budget, which includes approval of all transactions that impact the County budget, ensure accuracy of the system as it relates to the budget and spend against the budget, reporting – as required – to Commission, CFO and County Executive and preparation of budget adjustments for approval by Commission.
- Advise the CFO on all statutory requirements – County, State and Federal.
- Consolidating and reducing the County’s overall facilities in Wayne County to reduce operating costs emphasizing the cost analysis of various options.
- Oversee all utility matters County wide including contract negotiations, monitoring and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Prepare M&B budget function related solicitations for procurements (RFP, RFQ, RFI, etc.).
- Responsible for all County building leases (external and internal) including the negotiation, contract processing and payments.
- Assist as needed with the County’s external audit.
- Function as the County’s lead analyst for budget and costing scenarios.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CFO.
- Provide consultative support to departments and offices of elected officials on all budget related matters.
- Review and approval of contracts for CFO approval unless also functioning as the County’s Budget Director.
- Responsible for the Budget Division and any other departmental divisions as assigned by the CFO.
Education and Experience
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance. Master degree or CPA preferred.
- At least 10-12 years prior experience in large government budgeting organization.
- Knowledge of information systems.
To apply or for more information, please visit https://waynecountygovernment.applicantpro.com/jobs/1570819.html. Please include a cover letter, resume and salary requirement.
Wayne County is an Equal Opportunity Employer