Budget/Audit Analyst, Ottawa County
SALARY: $52,103.74 - $67,427.36 Annually
DEPARTMENT: Fiscal Services
OPENING DATE: 07/30/19
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Responsible for assisting the Fiscal Services Director in planning, organizing, and directing all accounting and budgeting activities of the County. Maintains integrity of general ledger in compliance with accounting standards. Responsible for grant accounting, including budgeting, compliance, reporting, and monitoring receipt of payment. Analyzes account activity and prepares projections to ensure budget estimates are sound and within appropriations established by the Board of Commissioners. Responsibilities will include working with multiple departments or elected officials with varied, complex funding models.
This is a full-time, benefited position working at the Fillmore Complex in West Olive, MI.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides financial support to multiple departments receiving grant funding. Understands grant requirements, prepares budget, initiates general ledger set-up for tracking financial activity and prepares monthly or quarterly financial reports in compliance with established standards and specific grant
- Understands and maintains compliance with federal guidelines for grant funding. Participates in the preparation of the Schedule of Federal Expenditures and work papers for the Single
- Assists in technical decisions surrounding accounting treatment of revenue and expenditures to maintain compliance with state law and Generally Accepted Accounting
- Assists in the planning, organizing, and directing the annual independent audit in areas of responsibility, including internal control documentation and audit work
- Monitors revenue and expenditure activity to monitor compliance with appropriations adopted by the Board of
- Reviews annual budget requests and makes recommendation based on program evaluation; responsible for preparing and presenting funding decisions, including implications of proposed funding
- Identifies areas for process improvement and coordinates with others to document, present, and initiate
- Performs other functions as
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in accounting, finance, public finance or closely related field combined with three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND INFORMATION:
The qualified candidate will have the following knowledge and skills:
- Thorough working knowledge of standard accounting theory, principles and practices. Thorough knowledge of statutory and other legally mandated standards governing public sector accounting and auditing practices and financial accountability, including GAAP and
- Thorough working knowledge of federal grant compliance and cost principles. Thorough working knowledge of Michigan Uniform Budget and Accounting Act, as amended.
- Computer literacy, including thorough working knowledge of spreadsheet, database, and accounting soft ware .
- Good analytical, quantitative and critical thinking skills, along with good organizational and leadership skills. Good verbal and written communication skills, along with good interpersonal and human relation
- Ability to interact positively and objectively with directors, managers, employees, auditors, regulatory and funding agency staff, vendors, contractors, consultants, and members of the general public from a wide range of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
Must be able to perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations, including, but not limited to, visual and/or audiological appliances and devices to increase mobilit y. Work is performed in a normal office environment.
Ottawa County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
12220 Fillmore Street West Olive, MI 49460 616-738 - 4804
Position #2014-05 BUDGET/ AUDIT ANALYST