City Treasurer, City of New Buffalo
Known as the Gateway of Michigan, the City of New Buffalo is seeking a professional City Treasurer to continue its tradition of financial excellence. The city desires a team-oriented individual with strong financial management skills and exceptional attention to detail.
Located at the mouth of the Galien River and a mere 70 miles from Chicago, New Buffalo is a classical blend of old and new. Coastal Living identifies New Buffalo as one of “the Best Places to Live on the Coast 2023. It is a part of Harbor Country, rich in wineries, beaches, non-motorized trails and charming retail stores. New Buffalo Area Schools is rated by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top schools in the state and country (#43 in Michigan and #1,381 in the nation). New Buffalo offers an outstanding quality of life for its residents and visitors, all while maintaining its rural charm.
This position is an integral part of the administrative team and works under the general supervision of the City Manager. A person in this position will plan and direct the financial and treasury functions of the City. These will include ensuring accurate accounting of all City funds, monitoring expenditures, collecting taxes and other receivables, and overseeing accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll. Also, this position administers the city’s investment plans, participates in the budget development process, and coordinates the annual audit. With a combined budget of just over $12 million and a 2022 assessed value of $273 million, the city has a collaborative workforce of 27 full-time employees and 7 part-time employees to provide city services.
Candidates should have:
· Considerable knowledge of municipal financial management, including investment of funds, accounting, payroll, billing, and financial record keeping.
· Five or more years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, finance, or related field is required. Previous experience in a government setting with supervisory responsibility is strongly preferred.
· Should be proficient and comfortable with business and financial technology necessary to successfully perform job duties.
· An associate’s degree or the equivalent in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field is required. A bachelor’s degree is preferred. The city will consider any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for a City Treasurer.
· Supervisory/leadership experience preferred.
The salary range for this position is budgeted for $62,500 – $70,000 plus an excellent benefits package and participation in the Municipal Employees Retirement System (MERS). This position will remain open until filled with the first review of applications on May 19, 2023. Candidates should submit resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references via mail or electronically to City Clerk Amy Fidler (email@example.com).