Controller, City of Farmington
Title: Controller (Part-Time)
Department: Treasurer’s Office
Location: City Hall
Hours: 22.5 hours per week
Rate of Pay: $34.74-$41.06 (Pay Grade 4, Controller)
Performs a variety of routine and complex accounting functions including assisting with the yearly budget and audit. Performs monthly account reconciliations and produces monthly and yearly reports. Works under the direction of the Director of Finance and Administration and works closely with members of the Treasurer’s Department as well as Department Heads throughout the City.
There are no employees that report to the Controller. However, the Controller delegates tasks to members of the Treasurer’s Department and reviews their work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs the following departmental core assignments, or parts thereof, including but not limited to:
• Initiates, reviews, and processes general ledger transactions.
• Prepares monthly financial reports.
• Coordinates preparation of annual budget.
• Coordinates annual audit.
• Assists in developing work procedures and expediting workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
• Develops short and long range plans; gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
• Performs other tasks and duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration.
Attend seminars and workshops related to accounting and finance-related duties and responsibilities.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a closely related field is required.
• Four (4) years of experience in the treasurer or finance department of a local governmental organization (city, village, township or county) or CPA experience.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to perform arithmetic computations accurately and quickly; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to establish successful working relationships.
• Ability to accurately record and maintain records; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, officials and the public; Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Working knowledge of office practices and procedures.
• Experience using computerized accounting packages. Experience with BS&A Software a plus.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Excel and Word.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer; financial software; word processing; spreadsheets; email; 10-key calculator; phone; copy machine; fax machine, and scanner.
PHYSICAL AND COGNITIVE DEMANDS
The physical and cognitive demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to see. The employee is frequently required to sit, speak or hear; stand or walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of equipment.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is constantly required to use math and calculation, problem solving, and reasoning and analysis. The employee is constantly required to read and proofread.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
Submit letter of application and resume detailing how you meet the above qualifications, along with a completed City of Farmington Employment Application found at http://www.farmgov.com/City-Services/Forms-and-Permits/HumanResources/EmploymentApplication.aspx to 23600 Liberty Street, Farmington, MI 48335, or email to email@example.com by November 16, 2022.