Deputy Treasurer, City of Birmingham
The City of Birmingham, MI has a population of approximately 20,000 residents. Named one of the country’s “Top 20 Walkable Communities,” Birmingham covers 4.73 miles located 20 miles north of Detroit in Oakland County , Michigan . Throughout its history, Birmingham has enjoyed a high level of citizen involvement, which has contributed to the high quality of life in the community. It is a relativelyaffluent community with a small-town atmosphere and a vital downtown business and shopping district. With diverse cultural and recreational amenities, this indeed is a place to “live, work, shop, and play.”
The City of Birmingham is seeking energetic, organized and dependable applicants for the Deputy Treasurer position within the Department of Finance. Under the supervision of the Finance Director/Treasurer, performs a variety of responsible automated
account keeping functions requiring a high degree of accuracy, knowledge of accounting practices and automated procedures, and the ability to work independently to meet established schedules. Audits and reconciles transactions and prepares reports; performs duties related to Treasurer's Office daily operations as assigned. May be assigned to perform certain duties of the Treasurer, following well defined policy, in his/her absence.
Functions and Basic Duties
- Audits daily transactions, including preparing and reconciling automated reports according to periodic schedules. Assists in preparation of audit-related schedules.
- Prepares schedules of receivables.
- Reconciles tax and Special Assessment District (SAD) records.
- Reconciles petty cash records and prepares requisitions for reimbursement.
- Monitors contractor escrow amounts and prepares periodic reports.
- Receives and processes property tax, SAD, utility, and other payments. Writes and validates receipts.
- Answers telephone and in-person inquiries from the public.
- Assists the Finance Director in evaluating controls and the integrity of financial information.
- Formats and maintains a variety of automated records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Possession of a B.A., B.S. or equivalent degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in accounting or bookkeeping in an automated environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office and Windows-based applications, and the ability and interest to quickly learn and use new tools and technologies. BS&A module working experience preferred.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, communicate professionally and effectively both verbally and in writing, learn and apply specialized knowledge of department operations, work independently when necessary, and provide excellent customer
* Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Wages & Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $53,378 - $68,324
DOQ. Benefits include Paid Time Off, medical, dental, vision, 401A, Retirement Health Savings, 457, Life Ins, FSA, Short/Long-Term Disability, Tuition Reimbursement.
Submit Cover Letter, Resume and Completed City of Birmingham Employment Application no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 27, 2020.
City of Birmingham Employment Applications are available online at www.bhamgov.org/jobs or in the City of Birmingham Human Resources Department, located at 151 Martin, Birmingham, MI 48009.
The Human Resources Department is open Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.