Finance Director, Birmingham Public Schools
JOB TITLE: Finance Director, Birmingham Public Schools
SALARY RANGE: $84,702 - $122,283
POSTING CLOSES: NOVEMER 25, 2019
The Finance Director reports to the Assistant Superintendent for Business Services and is responsible for the implementation of policies providing accurate accounting and internal control procedures for all school district funds. The Finance Director coordinates all facets of budget development and management, and supervises the business office operations. The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides for the orderly collection and dissemination of school business information that will help the Board of Education, the community, and other school administrators make informed educational decisions.
- Provides for the collection, protection and legally judicious use of all funds under the Board of Education’s jurisdiction, including involvement with the investment of funds.
- Coordinates the financial statement preparation and control of the school district’s various funds totaling approximately $142 million, including but not limited to the annual audit.
- Develops business operation policies, administrative regulations and operational directives.
- Responsible for the budget process for all funds, from preparation to final amendments.
- Supervises or assists in the administration and evaluation of the following operations:
- Payroll office;
- Accounts Payable operations; and
- Finance Office.
- Assists in the supervision, administration and evaluation of the following:
- Facilities Operations including Custodial, Food Services, Maintenance and Transportation;
- Property Insurance Programs; and
- Employee Benefit Cafeteria Plans.
- Performs other tasks assigned by the Assistant Superintendent for Business Services.
The candidate selected for this assignment will be the one who offers the best combination of qualities in accordance with the following standards and requirements:
- BA or BS degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent, C.P.A. preferred.
- Minimum of five years of successful professional experience, with previous school district accounting (fund accounting) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in managing budget development processes and analyzing financial information.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheets and databases, and previous reporting writing experience required.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and through the use of financial statements with employees and members of the community.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a collaborative team member and ability to establish positive working relationships with others.
- Ability to work well with others in a fast-paced environment, establish priorities and resolve problems.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary range for the 2019-20 school year is in accordance with Central Office Administrator grade 8 or 8.5 salary ranges, and will be determined based on the candidate’s training and experience. Fringe benefits for Central Office Administrators include: full family medical, dental and vision insurance; 23 vacation days, personal days and illness income protection; long-term disability insurance; life insurance; mileage allowance; merit pay and Board-Paid Tax Sheltered Annuity.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Negotiable
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested candidates meeting the above qualifications must complete the entire online application on the Oakland Human Resources Consortium website at https://ats4.searchsoft.net/ats/app_login?COMPANY_ID=JA000529 by the deadline listed. Click on View Open Administrative/Supervisory positions, then Search by District and click on Birmingham Public Schools. In addition, upload your LETTER OF INTEREST, CURRENT RESUME and THREE (3) REFERENCES. For more information, contact Dean Niforos, Ass’t. Superintendent for Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT THE DISTRICT
Birmingham Public Schools (Michigan) is committed to excellence in education, consistently ranking among the highest achieving school districts in the state. With optimal class sizes, high academic standards, a comprehensive curriculum, and a nurturing environment built on a foundation of Character Education, our mission is “inspiring all learners to positively impact their world”. The district of 8000 students is located in the metro Detroit area. For more information about Birmingham Public Schools, visit www.birmingham.k12.mi.us.