Finance Director, Huron County Road Commission
Bad Axe, Michigan
General Summary of Duties
This position is responsible for planning, directing and controlling the financial, accounting, and budgetary functions for the Huron County Road Commission, as well as the Huron County Parks, Airport and Drains. The Finance Director is responsible for leading the accounting staff in managing the financial and accounting policies, systems and processes, regulatory requirements, payroll systems and processes and internal controls. They will also possess the ability to perform a variety of fund accounting and finance functions including budget control and preparation, management of all fiscal records, inventory files, fixed assets, general ledger, monthly and year end reporting including the Act 51 report.
Education and Experience
Required education includes a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting or finance. Five (5) years of experience in accounting or finance, including governmental accounting procedures and fund accounting required. Experience working with road commissions in Act 51 accounting methods and procedures preferred. Five (5) years management experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid driver’s license to operate motor vehicles in Michigan
- CPA, or CGFM preferred Knowledge
- Knowledge of governmental generally accepted accounting principles and GASB pronouncements.
- Experience with computerized accounting programs, accounts payable, accounts receivables, payroll systems and reporting and fund accounting, budget development, preparation and administration.
- Experience with preparation of financial statements, preparation of financial reports including Act 51 reports; public finance and accounting in general; and policy development.
- Experience with road commission services.
- Experience in the management and supervision of a department.
- Understanding of relevant government legislation, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of governmental operations, business and financial administration; federal and state laws and statutes affecting local government and road commissions.
- Experience with Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and other various computer applications.
About Huron County Road Commission
Located in the “thumb” of Michigan’s lower peninsula, the Huron County Road Commission is responsible for the construction and maintenance of primary and local roads within the county, as well as state trunklines under contract with MDOT. The Road Commission is governed by a three-member board that oversees the operation.
Huron County is unique in the fact that the Board of County Road Commissioners is also the appointed governing body of the Huron County Drains, Huron County Parks and the Airport Department of Huron County. The finance director is responsible for all financial aspects of these other funds and departments.
Huron County Road Commission provides a comprehensive benefit package to its full-time employees which includes: health, dental & vision insurance; defined contribution retirement plan with employer contributions; short-term disability insurance; paid life insurance; 10 paid holidays; vacation and sick leave accruals and competitive wages, and a 4/10 hour day work schedule during the summer.
How to Apply
Candidates are required to complete an employment application, which is available on our website at hcroads.com or in person at 417 S. Hanselman Street, Bad Axe, MI. Completed applications can be mailed, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at our office. Office hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The Huron County Road Commission is an equal opportunity employer.