Finance Director, Lisle, Illinois
VILLAGE OF LISLE, ILLINOIS
Lisle, IL (23,440), Lisle is a vibrant, non-home rule community located in Chicago’s western suburbs with Aa1 bond rating from Moody’s Investor Services, well-balanced revenue stream and a high quality of life. “The Arboretum Village,” is located along the prestigious I-88 Corporate Corridor just 26 miles west of Chicago’s loop.
The Village is seeking a highly professional, progressive public finance professional with exceptional interpersonal skills and experience in public finance to serve as their next Finance Director. The current director has retired after 34 years of dedicated service to the community. Located in prosperous DuPage County, Lisle has a nature-themed redeveloped downtown, and over 750 businesses in a variety of business districts. Home to many corporate headquarters including Navistar, Molex, AST, AMITA Health and SunCoke, the community has beautiful neighborhoods, three full-service hotels, Benedictine University, a growing local/independent restaurant scene, extensive recreational opportunities including the Chicago Bulls and Sox Youth Academy and excellent schools all just a short train ride to downtown Chicago. The community has a major commercial corridor along Ogden Avenue with easy access to the I-355 and I-88 tollways.
The Village of Lisle has 86 full time and 9 part -time employees. Village departments include the Village Manager’s Office, Finance, Development Services, Public Works and Police. Staff members are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work while respecting their needs for a work-life balance. Autonomy is proudly offered while conducting one’s work, while at the same time supporting fellow employees in the team environment is expected. The successful candidate will bring energy and a drive for excellence to the department. The new Director will report to the Village Manager and serve as a liaison/treasurer to the Police Pension Fund.
The Finance Department is responsible for the preparation of the annual audit and budget, financial forecasting, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, utility billing and purchasing. The new Director will lead 5 total full time employees including an assistant finance director, procurement services manager, utility billing clerk (remote work employee), accounting services clerk, and one part time account services clerk. The Village’s is on a May 1 – April 30 fiscal year. The Village has an annual budget of $39.5 million supporting 16 funds including two major funds (General and Capital) along with 14 other funds (10 special revenue funds including two TIF funds, debt service and a capital projects fund).
Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
- A minimum of seven years’ progressively responsible experience including in a supervisory position preferably in a community of comparable complexity with strong knowledge of municipal finance practices including GASB standards. Public sector experience preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field is required. A Master’s degree, CPA, CPFA is highly desirable.
- High standards of performance, productivity and initiative with a strategic approach to innovation and process evaluation. The new Director will encourage employee initiative in accomplishing their work utilizing best practices while respecting the regulatory framework that guides service delivery.
- Skill in financial analysis, forecasting and a familiarity with modern budgetary approaches, fund structure, GASB principles and accounting practices.
- Impeccable professional and personal integrity that will inspire trust and confidence among subordinates, coworkers, elected/appointed officials and the general public.
- Supervisory skills that promote team spirit, further the development of the department staff and create a learning environment which fosters growth and innovation resulting in enhanced department service delivery.
- Well-developed interpersonal and oral/written/presentation communication skills including the ability to communicate complex numerical data effectively including relaying information in clear graphic formats to ensure an understanding to a non-technical audience.
- Participation and commitment to the executive leadership team; demonstrating leadership and a concern for the community’s success. Application of a forward- looking perspective to the delivery of financial services.
Starting salary range is +/- $120,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Residency is not required. Apply online with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for 5 professional references by April 19, 2019 Attn: Kathleen Rush, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847/380-3240 or 224-282-8313.