Finance Director, Midland County
Under the supervision of the Administrator/Controller, is responsible for ensuring that a system of accounting is installed and properly kept in all county functions, as well as providing administrative support and direction to other departments regarding fiscal management and financial controls. Oversees staff responsible for accounts payable, general ledger maintenance, payroll, purchasing, contract and grant administration, and employee benefits. Directs and assists with the preparation of the annual audit and budget. Provides assistance to the Administrator/Controller and the Board of Commissioners in developing financial policies for the county.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or related field and seven years of progressively more responsible managerial experience in governmental accounting, including experience in budgeting, auditing, payroll, benefits, purchasing and grant administration. Valid Michigan Driver’s License. Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A) is desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of the professional public management techniques involved in budgeting, personnel administration, resource management, and the ability to identify and implement new best practices.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of finance and governmental accounting methods and procedures, budgetary, fiscal management, procurement, and public administration principles.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations, risk management principles, reviewing, interpreting and communicating financial information, and preparing and administering budgets.
- Skill in assembling and analyzing data, preparing comprehensive and accurate reports, and formulating policy and service recommendations.
- Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing, and making presentations in public forums.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with County employees, contractors to the County, representatives of other governmental units, professional contacts, elected officials, and the public.
2023 salary range starting at $90,210 progressing to $117,250 (7 year progression) with a competitive fringe benefit package.
Submit resume and Midland County application to: Midland County Human Resources, 220 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, MI 48640 or email HR@co.midland.mi.us You can obtain an application from our website at www.co.midland.mi.us/HumanResources/JobPostings
Application Review Deadline: Position will remain open until filled.