The MGFOA Honorary Life Membership Award is the highest honor that the organization can bestow upon one of its members. It is intended to acknowledge a member’s contributions to the industry and organization, specifically considering these criteria:
- Current or past membership in the organization of at least ten (10) years
- Engagement in the organization (attendance or participation in the Fall Institute, Spring Seminar, or other professional development opportunities)
- Participation in various programs and activities related to governmental finance, sponsored by the MGFOA and/or affiliated organizations
- Service as a member of the MGFOA Board of Directors or Standing Committee(s) and providing outstanding service or contributions to the organization
- Demonstration of professional conduct consistent with the MGFOA Code of Professional Ethics
- Employment with a Public Sector or Associate Member organization
The nomination period for Honorary Life Member begins each Spring. Following the close of the nomination period, the MGFOA nominating committee will follow the process outlined in the MGFOA bylaws regarding the review, voting, and recommendation of a final candidate to the MGFOA Board of Directors. The selected member will be notified by Labor Day and recognized with this honor at the annual Fall Conference.