Income Tax Administrator, City of Port Huron
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
INCOME TAX ADMINISTRATOR
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This is a responsible, specialized position with work in the area of City Income Tax. Duties involve administering the tax according to City ordinance and establishing procedures, rules and regulations related to it, auditing City income tax returns, advising citizens, preparing necessary forms and handling the necessary public relations. This position requires the exercise of considerable independent judgment, professional skills and individual initiative.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the direction of the Director of Finance.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervision is exercised over clerical personnel assigned to assist the Income Tax Administrator.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Supervises clerical staff.
- Adopts or establishes rules and regulations related to administration and enforcement of the ordinance.
- Develops and implements compliance programs.
- Audits City income tax
- Assesses fines and penalties.
- Assists taxpayers in City tax problems.
- Examines taxpayers and their returns for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepares, adopts and makes available all forms related to the City income tax.
- Informs the public through private and mass communications.
- Performs related duties as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Considerable knowledge of accounting.
- Considerable knowledge of auditing.
- Considerable knowledge of income tax.
- Ability to organize and supervise the work of others.
- Good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work effectively with other officials, employees, and the general public.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required with major course work in accounting, auditing, and taxes.
- Extensive experience in supervisory accounting and on preparation of income tax returns.
- Experience in the office of a C.P.A. is helpful.
- Certified Public Accountant, Enrolled Agent or Master of Science in Taxation preferred.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Salary Range: $ 65,000 - $ 75,000 annually
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Pension program
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019
Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from porthuron.org.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **