OFFICE SUPPORT I (Bookkeeper – Recreation Administration), City of Dearborn
RATE OF PAY:
$13.00 - $15.00 per hour depending on experience
Average of 15 to 20 hours per week at this time – may increase to 22 to 28 hours; normal schedule is 7:30/8:00 a.m.-12:30-1:00 p.m.; 3 to 5 days per week (at this time). The City of Dearborn fiscal year ends on June 30, so this employee is expected to work the last week of June through July 2 each year.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE WORK:
This employee performs traditional bookkeeping tasks in the Administration office of the Recreation & Parks Department located in the Ford Community & Performing Arts Center, assisting with accounting and administrative work. This position works under the general supervision of the Recreation Accountant and the Administrative staff. This employee will need to demonstrate high standards of professionalism. Although the employee performs certain phases of the work independently, the work usually follows established practices and procedures, and is subject to review.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Runs daily revenue reports and balances to Daily Activity Report excel spreadsheet.
- Prepares entries for: cash receipts, transfer of funds, refunds and budget reallocations.
- Maintains subsidiary ledgers and reconciles to general ledger.
- Balances transactions and accounts.
- Prepares requests for invoices for rentals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the accounting, bookkeeping principles and practices.
- Some knowledge of modern office methods, practices, procedures, and equipment, particularly computer and calculator.
- Working knowledge of the basic Microsoft Excel and Word software.
- Ability to learn additional computer applications used by the department.
- Some knowledge of electronic data processing systems as they relate to accounting applications is preferred.
- Recording transactions with accuracy.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interact effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and to use calculating equipment with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to take direction and meet deadlines.
- A demonstrated attention to detail and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently and complete assignments without close supervision.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Graduation from an accredited high school or G.E.D. equivalent, including or supplemented by courses in general business. An Associate’s degree with coursework in bookkeeping/accounting is preferred. Some experience involving data entry, spreadsheet preparation, recording financial transactions and clerical work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which results in the ability to perform essential functions.
PARTS AND WEIGHTS OF EXAMINATION
Written Exam 40%
Oral Interview 60%
Must receive a minimum grade of 70% on each part.
POST EMPLOYMENT OFFER REQUIREMENTS:
- Satisfactory completion of criminal history/background check and physical/drug screen.
LAST DATE FOR FILING APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
Apply online at www.cityofdearborn.org