Payroll Officer, City of Battle Creek
Grade: Springsted - 22 Location: City Hall
Reports To: Finance Services Manager FLSA Status: Non - Exempt
Performs intermediate skilled technical work validating and maintaining employee payroll information and processes; related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Finance Services Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Computes, compiles and reconciles data for periodic payroll reports. Prepares and distributes paychecks andremittance advices. Prepares distributions of withheld taxes and deductions as required.
- Verifies and corrects errors to process payroll time entry. Maintains payroll-related documents. Works closely with Human Resources and internal departments to facilitate special pay and address payroll issues.
- Calculates FLSA overtime payments for various pay cycles.
- Reconciles payroll related liabilities in the general ledger monthly or quarterly as necessary. Reviews and reconciles employee accounts receivable on a monthly or quarterly basis, reconciles ledgers to detail records and prepares journal entries to adjust all ledgers or accounts. Assists in preparing audit materials.
- Calculates Final Average Compensation (FAC) for police and fire employees.
- Prepares monthly defined benefit wage report for submission to Municipal Employees Retirement System (MERS).
- Prepares annual W-2’s for employee distribution and submission to IRS, State of Michigan and local entities. Prepares and reconciles quarterly 941 and monthly tax deposits.
- Maintain proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word, calculator, and other office equipment.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
This work is sedentary and requires little to no exertion of force; work regularly requires sitting, bending, reaching, hand dexterity (grasping, holding, keyboarding, repetitive movements), reading, writing, eye-hand coordination, seeing (near and/or far, color, depth, field of vision), hearing, using the telephone, contact with government officials and the general public, working overtime, and working inside and alone.
- Associates degree with coursework in accounting, finance, or related field.
- 3-5 years experience preparing and processing computerized payroll.
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Excel including VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables.
- Valid driver's license in the State of Michigan
TEST REQUIRED: Intermediate Excel, Payroll and General Ledger
Please visit http://battlecreekmi.gov/563/Employment-Opportunities to apply
Springsted Grade 22: $60,315.34 - $78,409.91.