Pension Administrator, West Bloomfield Township
WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP
EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT SYSTEM
PENSION ADMINISTRATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Under the supervision of the Board of Trustees for the Retirement System, and as directed by the Retirement System Chairperson, performs the administrative and clerical duties for the Retirement System, including developing and distributing agenda packets, attending and tape recording meetings, and processing applications for retirement. Additional duties include maintaining the records of the Retirement System, including retiree files, retirement reports, active employee reports, beneficiary records, and various other records. Some of the activities noted below are not the Pension Administrator’s primary responsibility, but this individual will act as backup to the Pension Manager as directed by the Board of Trustees for the Retirement System. The Pension Administrator is a liaison to the Pension board and not a voting member of the Board of Trustees for the Retirement System.
1. Serves as liaison between the Board of Trustees and investment managers, fund custodian, ICMA-RC, investment consultant, actuary and legal counsel.
2. Develops and distributes agenda packets including meeting minutes, administrative calendar items, custodial statements of account, correspondence, reports, and related documents, and attends all regular, special and committee meetings of Board of Trustees of the Retirement System.
3. Meets with Retirement System Members to provide pension benefit estimates. Processes applications for retirement, sends to actuary for final retirement calculation and forwards to custodial bank to process benefit payments, processes operational payments for Retirement System, retiree notification, computer input, and develops files. Facilitates all processes necessary to fulfill operations and obligations of the Retirement System. Processes refunds of contributions for terminated employees who are not retiring.
4. Communicates with custodial bank regarding processing of changes for retirees including name, address, direct deposit information, notice of death, payments to beneficiaries and any related issues that may arise.
5. Reviews quarterly statements to confirm and reconcile correct distribution of retirement benefits and other distributions of funds made by AETNA and Comerica Bank and the fund custodian.
6. Calculate SS age adjustments and communicate changes to Comerica Bank.
7. Reviews correspondence received and publications pertaining to retirement and distributes to Board as needed. Drafts and distributes
all correspondence on behalf of Board of Trustees and Retirement System.
8, Maintains agenda files, secured retiree pension files, service providers contracts, statements of account, custodial reports, investment/fund information, minutes, correspondence and other related information in pension drive and uploads to township website as appropriate.
9. Prepare and post legal notices for meetings as required by law or instructed by pension board.
10. Completes annual actuarial valuation data for retirees.
11. Gathers Census Data and coordinates submission. Primary responsibility for this task resides with the Pension Manager.
12. Prepares resolution for election, distributes petitions, and prepares poll lists and ballots. Coordinates with the Clerk’s office the distribution of ballots and ballot boxes for election of employee representatives to Board of Trustees. Verifies election results with the Clerk’s Office.
13. Keeps Board Policies updated, and maintains Retirement System Plan provisions (Township Ordinance) pursuant to changes as negotiated by collective bargaining units and as enacted by the Township Board and organized in the pension drive.
14. Plans and facilitates pre-retirement planning sessions or other informational meetings for employees or retirees.
15. Reviews Domestic Relations Orders (EDROs, DROs, etc.) issued by courts in regard to retirement benefits of members involved in domestic relations proceedings. Coordinates with legal counsel and actuary.
16. Coordinates payment of bills and pension board reimbursements and prepares documentation for pension board meeting approval.
17. Coordinates completion of administrative tasks and maintains administrative calendar as directed by the pension board.
18. Calculate annual COLA adjustment and communicate benefit changes to Comerica Bank.
19. Prepare orientation materials for new Trustees as they are elected or appointed and store orientation documentation on pension drive.
20. Other functions as the Board of Trustees may from time to time assign.
This list may not be inclusive of the total scope of job functions to be performed. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or modified at any time.
Education: High school graduation or equivalent. Prefer some college level course work in data processing, human resources management, pension systems, payroll services, and related areas.
Experience: Three years of experience in an employee benefits related area, providing some familiarity with retirement systems.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.
Physical Requirements: This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements:
Ability to enter and access information from a computer.
Ability to access all departmental files.
Working Conditions: Works in indoor office conditions.
Hours and Salary Range: May be required to work up to three days per week. Please note this is a contract position paid on an hourly basis. Hourly rate of $25 to $30 per hour.
Applications should be sent to:
West Bloomfield Treasurer
4550 Walnut Lake Road
West Bloomfield MI 48323