Treasurer, City of Galesburg
The Treasurer is hired by the City Manager and is responsible for supervising the daily business activities of the city including financial management and statutorily required functions. Has official responsibility for accounting of all receipts and disbursements to city funds. Prepares a variety of financial records. Is responsible for investments. Helps to prepare budgets and implements city policies.
Essential Job Functions:
These examples are not intended to be exhaustive; the employee will be expected to perform all functions necessary to run the local government.
- Essential duties including but not limited to: collection of property taxes, investment of surplus funds, and disbursement of funds for the City
- Oversees banking administration including fund transfers and other payment activities. Reviews bank transfer requests and transfers funds.
- Demonstrated knowledge of State Property tax law, General Property Tax Act and related sections.
- Ability to prepare tax rolls and associated State forms.
- Considerable knowledge of current BS&A software programs, specifically Tax, Cash Receipting, Assessment, Special Assessment, General Ledger, and Utility Billing.
- Strong, clear communicator and excellent interpersonal skills; proven ability to effectively and positively communicate with the public and all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, prioritizes well, shows energy, responds to opportunities, instills urgency in others, and meets deadlines.
Preferred Job Requirements:
These requirements are not intended to be exhaustive; the employee will be expected to perform all functions necessary to run the local government.
- Education, Training, and Experience: Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance or public administration (CPA certification preferred); and,
- Three to five years experience working in the office of a municipal treasurer with regular responsibilities including accounting, budgeting, and finance tasks, and working directly with the tax roll.
The starting salary is $45,000+/yr (negotiable), and includes benefits (health, dental, life insurance, retirement, etc.). Continuing education or related training and membership in organizations such as MMTA or MGFOA will be provided and expected of the successful
The City of Galesburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, people of color and other members of historically disenfranchised groups to apply.
The City of Galesburg provides reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, or during employment, notify the City Manager at 269-665-7000. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case by case basis.
To apply, please send letter of interest, resume, references, work samples and related information to: City Manager, City of Galesburg, 200 E Michigan Ave Galesburg, MI 49053; firstname.lastname@example.org