Treasury Services Manager, City of Ann Arbor
Supervises the operations of the Treasury Service Unit, Risk Management Unit, and the Customer Service Unit. Treasury Service Unit responsibilities include collection, disbursement, and custody of revenues, daily investment activity, cash balancing and reconciliation, monitoring compliance with internal controls, preparing annual real and personal property tax billing, tax collection and disbursements, special assessment billing and collection, delinquent tax billing and collection, monitoring and issuing City debt, performing financial analysis for brownfield projects, supervising the City's Parking Referees, and managing the City's contracts for parking management systems. Risk Management Unit responsibilities include coordinating the City's general liability and casualty insurance programs, facilitating internal and external claims processes, facilitating Insurance Board meetings, drafting insurance resolutions for Council approval, serving as liaison with Third Party Administrators, negotiating annual insurance renewals, and serving as Ex-Officio member of City's Insurance Board. Customer Service Unit responsibilities include planning, organizing, and leading the Customer Service Unit, ensuring effective and efficient customer care, managing call center operations, implementing best-in-class customer service practices, conducting customer satisfaction surveys, monitoring revenues generated to ensure all billable items are appropriately charged, and supervising the Customer Service Center Supervisor and administrative support staff.
- Responsible for collection of City revenues, e.g., real and personal property tax collections, delinquent personal property tax collections, accounts receivable, and other receivables as assigned (manage the placement of receivables on summer and winter tax rolls, file lawsuits against debtors, file claims in bankruptcy court, and seize personal property, where applicable).
- Performs cash flow and cash management analysis for investment objectives.
- Manages the City's general operating investment portfolio, trust investment portfolios, and bond proceed investment portfolios.
- Manages contractual relationships with Financial Advisors, Brokers, and Safekeeping agents.
- Performs tax distribution activities with all taxing authorities and tax increment finance authorities, and performs settlement activities with the County Treasurer.
- Billing, collection, and record keeping for all special assessments and improvement charges.
- Billing, collection, and record keeping for all utility charges.
- Makes recommendations to the City Council's Liquor License Review Committee.
- Provides revenue forecasts by fund for tax revenue.
- Provides revenue forecasts for tax increment finance authority revenue. Files appropriate state forms for LDFA capture.
- Prepares and monitors annual budget for Treasury Service Unit, Risk Management Unit, and Customer Service Unit.
- Prepares annual financial audit work papers.
- Leads the City's risk management activities:
- Coordinates Risk Management consultant/broker activities. Manages contractual relationships with consultant/broker.
- Coordinates Third Party Administration activities. Manages contractual relationships with third party administrators.
- Supervises the claims and investigation process.
- Prepares the Insurance Board agenda and Council Resolutions.
- Attends all Insurance Board meetings as a voting member.
- Responsible for annual renewals of general liability, property, crime, fiduciary, workers compensation, and specialty insurance policies.
- Responsible for managing the City's banking activities, including cash management, lockbox, online payments, merchant services, safekeeping, and armored car services. Manages contractual relationships with banks and financial institutions.
- Responsible for the City's cash collection and reconciliation activities.
- Performs internal control audits for all cash collection locations.
- Manages the City's debt portfolio. Oversees City Council approval of notices of intent and debt authorizations, issuance of debt instruments, payment of debt service, filing of required state and federal forms and disclosures, and manages contractual relationships with Financial Advisor and Bond Counsel.
- Manages the City's contractual relationship with third party parking citation issuance, management, and collections vendor. Supervises the parking appeal function for City and University of Michigan parking citations. Manages the contractual relationship with the University of Michigan for parking citation issuance, collections, and appeals.
- Provides financial advice and support to various boards and commissions, e.g. City Council, Elizabeth Dean Fund Committee, Property Assessed Clean Energy Assessment program, Greenbelt Advisory Committee, SmartZone LDFA, and Business Improvement Zone,
- Daily supervision of Treasury Services Unit, Risk Management Unit, and Customer Service Unit staff. Ensures that all training and motivational needs are provided. Creates internal controls for Treasury Services and Customer Service. Conducts annual performance reviews for all staff.
- Evaluates performance indicators, both financial and operational, and directs changes to rectify problems and ensure quality products and services.
- Manages conflict in human interactions among employees, supervisors and customers.
- Conducts meetings with key Area supervisory personnel for the purposes of discussing new policies, reviewing existing methods and developing more efficient procedures
- Develops and institutes procedures which result in more efficient operation of supervised units.
Training and Experience: (position requirements at entry)
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, Business, Economics or closely related field
- At least five years of treasury management (Governmental/Private) experience
- At least five years of experience supervising others
- Master's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, Business, or a closely related field
- At least three years working in a union environment
Pay: $100,000-$120,000 (Full-Time Salary Position)
We are proud of our diverse workforce and our commitment to equal opportunity. We do not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived age, arrest record, color, disability, educational association, familial status, family responsibilities, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, height, HIV status, marital status, national origin, political beliefs, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, source of income, veteran status, victim of domestic violence or stalking, or weight in any aspect of our hiring or employment process. The City of Ann Arbor has earned a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Municipal Equality Index (MEI), which assesses lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer equality in more than 500 cities across the nation.