Accounting Specialist, City of Huntington Woods
Accounting Specialist - Responsible for all aspects of financial receipts and payment systems and day to day financial operations.
$50,000-$60,000 starting salary. Excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision, and 10% employer contribution to 401(A) Plan.
Work is performed under the general direction of the Finance Director/Treasurer.
RESPONSIBILITIES, ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
An employee of this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following. (These examples do not include all of the tasks, which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Assists Finance Director/Treasurer in the administration of City Finance Department.
- Administer and maintain payroll data on city accounting systems, including year-end and quarterly statements.
- Assists City Treasurer in all aspects of receipt processing, including tax collection.
- Serves as the accounts payable and receivable clerk and interfaces with Finance Director on record keeping.
- Reconciles and deposits cash and vouchers through accounts receivable system and assists City Treasurer in this administration.
- Coordinates utility billing system with Finance and DPS Departments. Preparation and distribution of all utility billing functions.
- Works with Finance Director in preparation of Budget Documentation, reports, data retrieval, chart and graph preparation.
- Works with Finance Director in preparation of annual audit and comprehensive annual financial report.
- Assists in aspects of front counter operations, phone call and office duties as needed.
- Special projects and reports as required by Finance Director and City Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES FOR EMPLOYMENT
All of the following knowledge, skills and abilities are essential. An employee in this
position, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of Public Administration.
- Knowledge of research methods, data collection, statistical interpretation and report writing.
- Knowledge of City and department policies, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of data processing, accounting and business management.
- Skill in the operation of a personal computer for the purpose of record keeping, report preparation and correspondence.
- Skill in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill in listening and referring accurate information both written and orally.
- Skill (interpersonal) to work with employees, officials and the general public effectively.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise and coordinate diversified functions.
- Ability to prepare effective communications, reports and publicity materials.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to make effective oral and written presentations.
- Ability to relate effectively in a public relations role.
- Ability to analyze, audit and interpret complex communications and prepare detailed reports.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations efficiently and accurately.
- Ability to see and hear well.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to work independently with little or no direction from others.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of related experience preferably working in municipal government.
- BS&A Software experience preferred
These duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Resume and cover letter can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
City of Huntington Woods
Attn: Tim Rowland
Huntington Woods, MI 48070
Open until filled. First review of applicants 7/16/21