Budget Specialist, City of Grand Rapids
Salary: $58,543.00 - $74,867.00 Annually
Location: City Hall 300 Monroe NW, Grand Rapics, MI
Job Type: Permanent
Department: Fiscal Services
Job Number: 593-0423
Closing: 5/26/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
DESCRIPTION BENEFITS QUESTIONS
Nature of Work
This position works with the Deputy City Manager/Chief Financial Officer, Deputy Chief Financial Officer, and Budget Analysts in the preparation and administration of the annual proposed and adopted budgets. The position supports the Budget Office and Fiscal Services staff with financial administrative duties and special projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
• Verifies, audits, edits and processes biweekly and other special employee payrolls.
• Reconciles position control reports and authorized positions reports; reviews and updates bargaining units, retirement codes and financial codes associated with each position; prepares for management review reports and surveys regarding position control.
• Assists with the review of purchase orders and encumbrances; validates justifications, authorizations, budget availability and accuracy of coding; recommends fund transfers between line items to meet encumbrances and expenses.
• Assists in formulating and monitoring the annual operating budgets; prepares budget templates populated with prior years’ budget and actual data for assigned departments; maintains the fiscal plan book (final and preliminary); gathers data for or prepares routine special analysis and reports. This includes the preparation of resolutions, placement of resolutions in MinuteTraq system for City Commission review and approval, and publication of notices in local newspapers as required by State law. This also includes working closely with I.T. Department on development and maintenance of Sharepoint data collection forms used in the budget process.
• Processes payables and receivables for Fiscal Administration, Budget Office, Purchasing, and I.T. Departments. Also processes payables for costs of issuance for periodic bond issues
• Assists in preparation of City Commission agenda items and placement in MinuteTraq system.
• Gathers and routes for signature documents related to periodic bond issues as directed by bond attorney.
• Assists with preparation of annual Continuing Disclosure document as required by SEC. • Attends meetings and may represent the department in meetings with other departments.
• May provide direction to the organization regarding the budget process.
• May take complex dictation and notes of meetings; keeps official records and reports; prepares correspondence for supervisor's signature; makes travel arrangements; arranges meetings; maintains automated appointment calendar; prepares agendas; schedules and attends meetings; performs duties related to offices the supervisor may hold in professional organizations.
• Screens incoming calls and correspondence and refers to appropriate staff for action; assembles relevant attachments or notes for instruction or disposition.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
For additional information and to apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/grandrapids/jobs/4017160/budget-specialist.