Finance Director/City Treasurer, City of Howell
The City of Howell is seeking to fill the position of the Finance Director/City Treasurer. This job is a full-time exempt position, with a salary range of $73,695.65 - $95,805.34 DOQ. Excellent benefit package is included along with a MERS Defined Benefit Pension Plan.
Under the general supervision of the City Manager, this position is responsible for comprehensive City financial operations. Duties involve preparation of the annual budget, periodic financial reports, the annual financial audit, long-term financial planning and analysis of funds and active supervision of the day-to day finance and treasury department operations. Acts as member of the City's management team and provides them with financial advice and recommendations related to City programs and services. Acts as departmental spokesperson and liaison to the public.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general supervision of the City Manager. SUPERVISION EXERCISED Exercises supervision over deputy treasure, utility billing technician, accounts payable technician and other staff, as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively involved in all City departments on a daily basis to ensure that all City financial functions for all funds and accounts are accomplished to the highest possible standards in a manner most strategic for the fiscal well-being of the City
- Directs the maintenance of all official accounting and financial records to conform to accepted governmental accounting principles and provides and accurate and current reflection of the City's financial condition. · Coordinates and develops annual budget process. Works with other City departments in developing budget requests and revenue and expense projections.
- Coordinates and develops annual budget process. Works with other City departments in developing
- Maintain the chart of accounts, makes journal entries, maintains a list of fixed assets and other account reconciliations.
- Produces and distributes periodic monthly department accounting reports.
- Oversees the annual audit including the development and organization of workpapers and schedules and updating processes for any new accounting requirements.
- Performs special studies such as bond analysis and debt service cash flows.
- Reviews and provides information for utility billing consultant.
- Keeps abreast of legislative and regulatory developments, new administrative techniques and current issues throughout continued education and professional growth.
- Prepares the monthly accounting for the Howell Area Parks & Rec Authority.
- Prepares draw requests for DWRF and SRF loans.
- Establishes the annual tax roll.
- Manges and invests City monies accordingly to legally approved investment practices.
- Oversees the administration of special assessments.
- Oversees the collection of taxes and other receivables.
- Responsible for the annual tax settlement with the County Treasurer.
- Responsible for the collection of delinquent personal property taxes.
- Process adjustments due to Board of Review, Michigan Tax Tribunal or State Tax Commission
- Works closely with the City Assessor to reconcile the tax and assessment values.
- Responds to public inquiries and complaints.
- Attends conferences, workshops, and seminars as appropriate.
- Files grant request draws.
Attends seminars, workshops and conferences related to finance and treasurer duties and responsibilities.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A)Possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, or closely related field; AND
(B) Have a minimum of five (5) years full-time work experience in an increasingly responsible municipal position which duties include accounting or finance. Such experience shall include two (2) years in a supervisory or department head capacity; or
(C) Any equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience, with additional work experience substituting for the required education on a year for year basis
*MPA, MBA strongly preferred and a Certified Public Accountant, CPA, is a plus
Please visit HR / Job Opportunities (cityofhowell.org) to complete application.
Completed applicant packages can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
City of Howell
Attn: Jamie Helman
611 E Grand River Ave., Howell, MI 48843
Open until filled. First review of applicants 10/25/2021