Treasurer, City of Hamtramck
The City of Hamtramck has an opening for a full-time Treasurer.
Job Description Summary:
Under the general direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Treasurer reports to the City Manager and is responsible for managing the revenue and cash flow of the City, banking services, collection of and receipting, reporting, custody and investment of municipal funds. The successful candidate will manage the work of the Treasurer’s Office and staff to ensure the accurate and secure handling of the City’s cash and investment assets. The office is located in City Hall at 3401 Evaline Street, Hamtramck, MI 48212.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all cash receipting functions to ensure the accurate and regulation-compliant collection and reporting of payments to the City.
- Create and review various financial reports in order to assess, select, and trade investment securities in order to maximize investment returns while managing liquidity and investment risk.
- Analyze risk parameters for investments and make prudent investment decisions in accordance with City ordinances and investment policies.
- Collect data and cash flow reports in order to develop cash flow projections and direct proper placement of funds in various bank and investment accounts.
- Manage the property tax cycles including preparing bills, collections, disbursements and settlements.
- Perform monthly reconciliation and balancing of accounts.
- Complete all treasurer functions, including cash receipting, banking and investment activities, are in compliance with federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations.
- Research and recommend policy changes as necessary, and implement such policies for the City’s investments, cash receipting and banking functions.
- Prepare various treasurer and financial reports at the request of senior management.
- Manage, assign and coordinate the work of treasurer office staff (Clerks: 1 full-time and 1 part-time) to set individual employee goals and provide feedback and performance evaluations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of municipal finance, cash management, investment portfolio management, financial markets, banking services and internal control.
- Strong knowledge of basic accounting computer programs (including Microsoft Excel) and related software as well as the ability to evaluate the effectiveness of such programs.
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations on municipal finance and investments.
- Ability to interpret GASB and related regulations provide necessary training and guidance on compliance procedures.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to successfully develop positive intergovernmental and employee relationships.
- Ability to work independently and maintain ethical and professional relationships with outside investment professionals, including but not limited to investment brokers and advisors, custodians and clearing agency personnel.
- Skill in general office management and practices, interpersonal communication, employee supervision, motivation, and the ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with residents, business owners, and elected officials.
- Experience with BS&A software preferred.
- Preference will be given to bilingual candidates. Candidates who can read/write/speak multiple languages are strongly encouraged to apply.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum experience: Five years in municipal finance or public finance required.
- Previous supervisory experience desired.
Application Process: Download application at https://hamtramck.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Hamtramck-Application-Final.pdf. Return completed application and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
The City of Hamtramck is an equal opportunity employer and will not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, height, marital or veteran status or the presence of medical conditions or disability. Michigan and Federal laws require employers to make accommodations to persons with a disability if the disability can be accommodated within certain guidelines, and the individual can perform the essential job duties with or without such accommodation. Persons with a disability may request an accommodation of their disability by notifying the City of Hamtramck City Manager’s office in writing of the need for accommodation.