We are excited to announce that it is award season at MGFOA. In addition to the long standing Honorary Life Member Award, we will be awarding the Public Sector and Associate Member of the Year Awards, which were first introduced in 2022.
Details regarding each of the awards is as follows:
The MGFOA Honorary Life Membership Award is the highest honor that the organization can bestow upon one of its members. It is intended to acknowledge a member’s contributions to the industry and organization, specifically considering these criteria:
- Current or past membership in the corporation for a minimum of 10 years;
- Active in the organization through attendance at the annual fall conference, spring seminar and other programs and special sessions that the corporation has sponsored;
- Participation in various programs and activities related to municipal finance which were sponsored by the corporation or affiliated organizations;
- Service as a member of the board of directors or committee(s) during his or her membership in the organization and provision of outstanding service or contributions to the corporation.
- Demonstrated compliance with the spirit and terms of the Code of Professional Ethics, which shall include consideration of any historic, alleged, or actual complaints of violations of the Code of Professional Ethics.
The Member of the Year Awards, one for Public Sector Members and one for Associate Members have been establish as a means of recognizing the ongoing achievements of MGFOA members throughout the course of their career. The purpose of establishing two awards is to recognize the unique aspects of each member category and to reward their accomplishments during the prior calendar year (2023).
Public Sector Member of the Year – recognizing the accomplishments of one or more public sector members who honored the profession with outstanding service in the past year.
Associate Member of the Year Award – recognizing the accomplishments of one or more associate members who honored the profession with outstanding service in the past year.
- An active member may nominate a Member of the Year in any category (public sector or associate)
- Although there may be one intended honoree in each category, this will not be spelled out to allow for situations in which there may be more than one or a team of people
- Although there is no limit to how many times a person can be nominated or be honored with the award, preference would be given to those not previously honored
Please submit your nominations for these awards to email@example.com, using the forms below, no later than Friday, March 1, 2024. Note that the nomination process is not confidential. Engaging with your nominee to provide background and details will improve the quality of applications submitted and help the nominating committee identify the most deserving members among those nominated.
If you have submitted a nomination and did not receive a reply that it was received, then it was lost in cyberspace. Please contact Bob Hertel at 231-262-9726 if you did not receive a reply after your nomination email.
Following the close of the nomination period:
Honorary Life Member Award- the MGFOA nominating committee will follow the process outlined in the MGFOA bylaws regarding the review, voting, and recommendation of a final candidate to the MGFOA Board of Directors. The selected member will be notified by Labor Day and recognized with this honor at the annual Fall Conference.
Member of the Year Awards - the MGFOA review committee will follow the process adopted by the MGFOA board regarding the review, voting, and recommendation of a final candidate to the MGFOA Board of Directors. The selected members will be notified by Labor Day and recognized with this honor at the annual Fall Conference.
Thank you for your support of this important recognition of our colleagues!